SRTC Smoking and Tobacco Use PROCEDURE
Substantial evidence exists that smoking is unhealthy for those who smoke and for nonsmokers exposed to secondary smoke. Southern Regional Technical College developed this procedure to establish a tobacco-free workplace. The regulations of this procedure are as follows:
1. All Southern Regional Technical College campuses are tobacco-free environments. Tobacco use is prohibited inside and outside all buildings and parking lots and within any College vehicle or any vehicle operated by the College. Southern Regional Technical College prohibits smoking, or using other forms of electronic, alternative smoking devices or other forms of tobacco products. Neither smoking nor the use of tobacco products are allowed on any SRTC campus outside of a personal vehicle. Disposing of cigarette/cigar butts, other tobacco products, or tobacco residue in the parking lots or on any SRTC property is not allowed. This procedure applies to all persons while on campus.
2. Monetary fines and/ or sanctions will be levied for the violations as follows:
|♦||Disposing of tobacco products or residue on SRTC property.||$10|
|♦||Smoking on campus or use of tobacco products on campus.||$10|
|♦||Second Offense within twelve months.||$25|
|♦||Third Offense within twelve months.||$50|
|♦||Fourth Offense within twelve months will be referred to the respective Vice President
for appropriate disciplinary action which could include but is not limited to a fine of:
3. This policy is communicated through various sources, including but not limited to new employee orientation, new student orientation, College Catalog and Handbook, College procedures, department meetings, employee newsletters, signage, and verbal communication.
4. Sidewalks, streets, and neighboring property are not to be used as tobacco use areas.
5. Employees are required to follow and support this policy and to work in a positive manner in influencing other employees, students, and visitors to refrain from any tobacco use
Fines must be paid to Administrative Services within five days of the violation. Students who do not pay fines promptly will have accounting holds placed on their student accounts in the Banner Student System until such time as payment is made.
The Vice President of Economic Development has the overall responsibility for ensuring this policy is implemented.
TCSG Policy II.C.7 Tobacco Use
SRTC Student Conduct Code
Revised: 8-6-96; 12-5-00; 9-2-03;06-01-04; 02-01-05; 04-05-11; 08-12-14