The purpose of the Southern Regional Technical College (SRTC) Procedure: Distance Education Proctoring is to verify that the student who registers and receives credit for a distance education course is the same student who logs into the course using the secure learning management system (LMS) login assigned by the College and who finishes the course participating in at least one proctored event per course. Any student who does not complete a proctored event will either be withdrawn from the course or fail the course depending on the date of the proctored event.
SRTC provides on-campus proctoring at no charge for students of TCSG colleges and employees of SRTC. It is important to note that while SRTC does not charge a fee to proctor any student taking classes from a TCSG college, some proctoring facilities do charge. In the event a student chooses to be proctored at a facility that charges a fee, that fee must be paid by the student. To assist students in avoiding such fees, SRTC strives to identify fee-charging proctoring facilities and includes the fees when listing pre-approved facilities. SRTC may also engage in institutional agreements with non-TCSG institutions to provide proctoring services.
Students requiring special accommodations should communicate with the Disability Services Coordinator and his/her instructors in advance of the proctored events so that accommodations can be made to meet the students’ needs.
Proctored Event Scheduling
It is the student’s responsibility to find a qualified proctor with whom a date, time, and location to complete the proctored event can be arranged. The student must submit a request for each event being proctored by anyone other than the course instructor. The student is required to submit the request online two weeks prior to the desired event date. A student who does not submit the required form or who submits the form late may forfeit the opportunity to take the proctored event. Students should adhere to one of the applicable methods below for submitting a request to be proctored. Proctored Examinations may only be administered to students who have verified their identity with a Photo ID.
Proctored Event Methods
- The student attends an instructor-scheduled event to complete the proctoring requirement. The instructor proctors his/her student and ensures that the time, setting, and materials used for the proctored event are appropriate and acceptable. No additional approval or notification is required.
- The student submits a request to the Distance Education Department to schedule an appointment at a pre-approved proctoring site. At the beginning of each semester, an announcement is posted under Southern Regional Announcements in Blackboard with scheduling information. The student must submit the proctoring request two weeks prior to the exam date. The Online Department Personnel sends a confirmation email to the student’s SRTC email account.
- If a pre-approved proctoring facility is inaccessible, the student submits a request to complete the event at an alternate location. At the beginning of each semester, an announcement is posted under Southern Regional Announcements in Blackboard with scheduling information. The student must submit the proctoring request two weeks prior to the exam date. The Online Department Personnel sends a confirmation email to the student’s SRTC email account.
Proctor and Site Requirements
Any student choosing to utilize an alternate proctoring solution is responsible for finding a qualified proctor who meets the following criteria:
- library staff member,
- administrator in a secondary school, college, university, library, or testing center, or
- commissioned officer whose rank is higher than the student's
NOTE: Proctors cannot be family members, friends, or co-workers.
Before submitting a request for approval, the student must confirm that the proctor has the following:
- a business e-mail address (Exam materials are not sent to a proctor who does not have a business e-mail address.),
- a computer with the requirements stated on the Georgia Virtual Connection (GVTC) website.
- access to a fax machine or scanner for returning completed documents to SRTC.
Missed Proctored Events
Any student who does not complete a proctored event will either be withdrawn from the course or fail the course depending on the date of the proctored event.
A missed proctored event involving extenuating circumstances will be evaluated by the instructor. If the instructor approves for the exam to be taken at a later date, the instructor will coordinate proctoring arrangements. If necessary, the student may be assigned an “I” or an “IP” with approval by the Dean for Academic Affairs.
Proctoring Non-TCSG Students
A non-Technical College System (TCSG) of Georgia student who requests Southern Regional Technical College (SRTC) to proctor an exam is required to complete the following process.
- The student must contact SRTC’s Distance Education Department to secure a date for the proctored event within two weeks prior to the desired exam date.
- Once the date has been approved, the student must have the home college send the necessary information for testing to the SRTC Distance Education Department.
- The student must pay a $25.00 proctoring fee to the SRTC Bookstore, and show the receipt to the SRTC’s Distance Education Department before the exam is proctored.
- For paper exams to be returned to the home college, the student or home college must supply the SRTC Distance Education Department with a stamped, addressed envelope.
- The student must adhere to the home college’s proctoring guidelines.
For questions or additional information, please contact the Distance Education department at 229-217-4157 or 229-225-4326 or via email.