6.3.1sr2 - SRTC Procedure: Release of Student Records
In accordance with provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) (Buckley Amendment), Southern Regional Technical College (SRTC) recognizes all the rights under the law to students who are or have been enrolled. No one outside the College shall have access to any information from students' educational records without the written consent of students, except the following:
- college personnel;
- officials of other colleges in which students seek to enroll;
- persons or organizations providing student financial aid;
- accrediting agencies carrying out their accreditation function;
- persons in compliance with a judicial order; and/or
- persons in an emergency in order to protect the health or safety of students or other personnel.
Within the College, only those staff members, individually or collectively, acting in the student's educational interest are allowed access to student educational records. These staff members include administrators, financial aid, and academic personnel. All are held within a need-to-know limitation.
At its discretion, SRTC may release directory information according to the provisions of the FERPA. Directory information includes the following:
- full name of student;
- major and field of study;
- degree, awards, and date rec’d;
- dates of attendance;
- participation in official activities;
The Technical College System of Georgia and its technical colleges define “non-public directory information” as follows:
- email address
- telephone number
Students shall be informed annually of their FERPA rights. Any student who objects to the release of directory information must notify the Registrar’s Office in writing, clearly stating what directory information they do not wish to have released.
The Registrar has the overall responsibility for ensuring this procedure is implemented.