3.1.2sr2 - SRTC Procedure: Perkins Budgeting
Each year the State Board of the Technical College System of Georgia (TCSG) approves the allocation of Federal Perkins Funds that are distributed to the technical colleges. Budget development for the expenditure of Southern Regional Technical College’s Perkins allocation is coordinated by the Institutional Effectiveness (IE) Division at the College. Perkins funding is allowed as follows:
1. for activities that focus on specific requirements as outlined in the federal regulations;
2. for activities that focus on performance on core indicators (Perkins Measures);
3. for developing and offering secondary students opportunities to acquire postsecondary
education credits as follows:
A. to participate in career pathways programs of study that have a postsecondary element;
B. to participate in academic courses; and
C. to participate in dual or concurrent enrollment programs.
4. for comprehensive professional development activities;
5. for activities involving the collaboration of stakeholders in the development, implementation, and evaluation of programs and services assisted through Perkins funding;
6. for programs and services of sufficient size, scope, and quality to bring about improvement in the quality of occupational programs; and
7. for activities for special population students.
The initial Perkins Budget is proposed in the spring of each year by the Vice President for Institutional Effectiveness to the President and President’s Leadership Cabinet. The budget is submitted to the Technical College System of Georgia (TCSG) for approval, and upon approval, TCSG provides an award letter to the President, the Vice President for Institutional Effectiveness, and the Administrative Services Office. Budget amendments are allowed throughout the fiscal year with approval granted by TCSG.
Transaction work flow specific to Perkins budgeting, purchasing, accounts payable, accounts payable-travel reimbursement, reconciling, equipment inventory, and revenue are included in the Perkins Budgeting Process detailed below.
The Vice President for Institutional Effectiveness has the overall responsibility for ensuring this procedure is implemented. The Vice President for Administrative Services will assist by providing monthly expense comparison reports to aid in the administration process.
Revised: April 7, 2020