SRTC Procedure: Graduation
Southern Regional Technical College (SRTC) extends its congratulations to all who have completed a degree, diploma, or technical certificate of credit.
To be eligible for graduation, a student must:
- All courses in degree, diploma, and certificate programs of study require a grade of “C” or higher in order to satisfy program, graduation, and transfer requirements.
- Earn a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA in his/her program of study and earn a minimum of 25% of credit hour requirements at SRTC.
- Meet any other program specific requirements, which have been approved by the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Complete the graduation application with his/her advisor using the online graduation request form. The student may choose to participate in the Graduation Ceremony or graduate in absentia. A graduation fee is assessed to the student’s account upon receipt of the graduation application.
- Satisfy all financial obligations to Southern Regional Technical College prior to participating in the Graduation Ceremony, prior to degree, diploma, or certificates being mailed, and before a degree, diploma, or certificate transcript will be issued.
- Meet all the graduation requirements after applying for a specific term. The administration will review the student's records and will approve the student for graduation if all academic and other requirements have been met. If the requirements are not met, the student must reapply for graduation and a new application and graduation fee is required.
GED students are eligible for graduation upon completion of items 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6.
Students are eligible to participate in the Graduation Ceremony within one year following the completion of their program of study.
Students with a 3.75 cumulative GPA or higher will be recognized as honor graduates and may wear an honor tassel and/or sash during the Graduation Ceremony.
Student Participation in the Graduation Ceremony
Students who meet all graduation requirements for a degree, a diploma, or a certificate have an opportunity to celebrate that achievement through the Graduation Ceremony. Academic regalia (cap and gown) is required for candidates to participate in the Graduation Ceremony. At the Graduation Ceremony, candidates wear the tassel on the right side, moving it to the left when the award is conferred. Only candidates who meet honor graduate status may wear the gold tassel. All other candidates will wear a black tassel.
Staff and Faculty Attendance at Graduation
Because the College views the Graduation Ceremony as honorable academic tradition, all full-time faculty and select staff are required to attend the Graduation Ceremony. If an employee that is required to attend is unable to attend, the employee must request and receive prior approval from the Dean for Academic Affairs. Faculty participating in the academic procession are required to wear academic regalia.
The Vice President for Academic Affairs has the overall responsibility for ensuring this procedure is implemented.
General Program Standards
NOTE: For information regarding an upcoming Graduation Ceremony, visit the SRTC Graduation page.
Initially Implemented: 07-01-2015
Revised: 03-29-2016, to be implemented 05-17-2016